An Oxygen Garden is used to supply breathable air aboard space stations and space vessels. It produces oxygen using onboard plants and a water source (Water Tanks). It also maintains air pressure and ensures that carbon dioxide is kept at a minimum level. It must have a continuous supply of Power to operate.
It will also refill empty Oxygen Tanks and clean/recharge Carbon Dioxide Scrubbers, when they are placed in the second slot. A second Water Tank can also be placed in the slot to reduce the frequency of replacing water tanks.
During station development, it should be kept in mind that air can not be transferred through certain modules, like Truss modules.
This part consumes 60 units of Power when operating.
This part is unlocked after successfully completing Mission 27.
- Oxygen Gardens can be powered by an internal battery, but this is inefficient.
- Sometimes, lone oxygen gardens powered by internal batteries are used as missiles as releasing atmosphere generates thrust.
- With enough oxygen gardens, a station does not need any Oxygen Tanks or Carbon Dioxide Scrubbers, as the oxygen gardens do not need these to provide air. However, if these items are aboard, the station will consume them anyway.
- If you go to any view besides the spacecraft view, it looks like a lot of green plants with water tubes around it.
- Removing the Water Tank will cause the plants to turn brown (possibly die) in about 9-10 seconds.